Don't Let Arthritis Spoil Your Winter

The winter months can be hard on people with arthritis. Cold weather can exacerbate joint pain, making life uncomfortable when temperatures are low. The Integris Health website offers this advice for enduring winter with arthritis.

  • Dress in layers. Stay warm indoors and outdoors. Wear gloves and add layers to your knees, elbows, and other places where your body aches.

  • Eat healthy. Rich foods and sweets can cause a flare-up of rheumatoid arthritis. Limit your consumption of processed meats, desserts and unhealthy snacks.

  • Minimize stress. Try meditation, deep breathing and yoga to stay in a calm frame of mind.

  • Exercise. Physical activity helps increase flexibility, strength and energy, and helps ease arthritis pain. Aim for 150 minutes of moderate exercise a week, along with two strength training sessions.

  • Wear compression gloves. These encourage blood flow in your joints, and help keep your hands warm.

  • Get plenty of sleep. A lack of sufficient sleep has been linked to depression, fatigue and additional pain in people who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis.

  • Talk with your doctor. If you’re in more pain than usual during the winter, then consult with your physician. It's a good idea to also let your family know about it, too.


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.