Even the most successful people have to deal with burnout— that feeling that comes when we’re overworked, overstressed, and in a slump. Here are some strategies for combating it:
- Recognize the problem. Admit to yourself that you are burning out, and that it is a result of the way you invest your energy. Avoid blame; take action instead.
- Keep working. Don’t give up. Instead, change how and where you invest your energy. Decide what you want, and invest your energy accordingly.
- Enlist a partner. Tell someone how you’re going to change, and make sure that person will hold you accountable to your commitment.
- Examine your habits. If you know certain behaviors leave you drained of motivation and enthusiasm, try to eliminate or replace them. Limit your contact with people or activities that don’t help you maintain your energy.
- Reassess on a regular basis to preserve your sense of balance.