Time to start planning for the holidays! Wait, what? Yes, you read that right: start planning now in these easy summer days so you can relax this winter.
These suggestions on how to hone your holiday checklist all came from homemaking maven Martha Stewart:
- Take stock of your stash. A well-kept holiday home begins with a proper assessment of what you already have: garlands, glittered baubles and figurines, lighting displays, preserved wreaths, and other decorations. Unpack and sort your collection, declutter by discarding anything broken or unusable, and organize the remaining stockpile for easier, more efficient decorating come December.
- Gather your gifts. Now is the time to make your list and check it twice so you can keep an eye out for bargains, as well as buy yourself time (pun intended) to find more challenging items or start on a homemade craft. Source your materials and, if it’s helpful to you, draft a timeline to keep yourself on schedule with crafting gifts in due time for the season.
- Stock up on host gifts. Think beyond the gift list of your inner circle. Come holiday time, there are likely to be small get togethers happening again and you will want to have a token of thanks for a few hosted parties. Stock up over summer—curating a handful of items that will appeal to everyone guarantees that you’re never caught in a gift-giving situation empty-handed.
- Solidify your ‘must-dos’. Determine your priorities and must-do traditions then put the items that truly matter to you on your calendar. The rest of the days will fill up as the weeks progress, but locking in time for the things that matter most will keep you focused on fulfilling events.
- Capture your family portrait. And save it for this year’s greeting card. Why not capture some memorable moments while the sun is out and the weather is forgiving? You can make a summer day of it and enjoy the memories for years to come.
Post Your Comment: